Monday, July 2, 2012

Its so Darn Hot

Milk was a bad choice...



Sorry, I couldn't resist, but seriously this heat wave we are having in the midwest is a killer.  I went running last week only twice, which is really low for me.  I am going to try to get 4 runs in this week but we will see with the heat index being around 100 all week with humidity.

That brings me to my next point, how does one cope with running is given conditions?  Does one flee to the pool/Air conditioning or what?

I got a good suggestion from my sister who lives in FL (where it is always hot ).  Grab a rag, wrap some ice cubes in it, then put that around your neck.  I'm going to try this today, so I'll let you know how that goes.  Also she suggested bringing water.  I don't normally like running with things in my hand but in such extreme conditions its really a good idea.

Does anyone else have any good tips for keeping cool while running through the heat?

PS: The headphones still rock, no problems at all.

6 comments:

  1. Here's a tip. What time of day are you going? The hottest time of day us in thd afternoon. My suggestion would be to get up between 5&6 and do your run then. It's still gonna be humid but it won't be as hot because the sun won't be at its peak yet.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that is a good point. Usually I go right when I get home from work which is about 5pm which has been very hot...

      The crazy thing is I already get up at 6:30, so I would have to get up at about 6am to go running before. Hmmm, I guess I'll try it see how it goes, if I can pull myself out of bed.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go first thing in the morning. After a couple weeks you get used to getting up that early and because you've been running, you'll have the energy to pop out of bed (seriously), and it's never too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Saul! I got up 30 minutes earlier today and went for a run. You are right, it was okay this morning at 6am (CT) even though they are calling for record temps around 100 today.

      Delete
  4. Yay T! That's what we used to do for cross country. Had to be there at 6:30 or something for am practice and 7 for pm practice......

    ReplyDelete