Monday, May 27, 2013

My First 10K and Adapting to Newtons

I broke through my race wall this past weekend by finishing my first 10K race.  Fun fact, the best part about running a new distance is its a guaranteed PR.  The first couple miles were great, but I was running way too fast (7 min/mi pace instead of 8:30).  I hit the 5K mark at 24:03, which is a 5K PR for me, which got me all worried.  The hamster started running and I started doubting myself.  By mile 4 I started to slow.  This continued through the next mile when all of a sudden a voice said, "hey, how's it going?"  I looked to my left and saw a fellow running along side.  He just started talking about how he is running the 1/2 marathon tomorrow, and this is more of just a warm-up for him.  He was "taking it easy".   I kind of chuckled at that since I thought I was going to die at the moment.  He encouraged me through the next mile and a half to the finish.  What an awesome person, just what I needed to clear my head.  I told him thanks and started sprinting for the last .2 miles.  As I was running down the final stretch they called out my name, which was very exciting for me because every run before this I never heard it called.  I crossed the finish line and got my finishers metal.  


What a great feeling of accomplishment.  I looked back and saw my 5.5 mile coach finish and we walked the cool down together.  They provided water and pizza at the finish so we sat down, stretched, and just chatted for a bit.  It was a really cool run through the campus of UW-Madison.  The worst part for me was Observatory drive where it is a wicked hill climb of 89 feet in .25 miles.  However it was also the best part because as you rise over the crest of the 1/2 way point you get an amazing view of Lake Mendota.  So that was my race, I'm looking for the next one to come about.  I think I am going to sign up for the Madison Mini Marathon (a 1/2 marathon) that is in August.  It might be super hot but I wanna do it, its a perfect setup as its 12 weeks out.  That is a normal allotted time to train for said event.  Anyone else have any running plans this year?

I went to pickup my race packet at the Monona Terrace, little did I know there was a running expo going on.  I browsed around a bit, and noticed Endurance House (my favorite triathlon/running store) had a big tent setup.  I noted they had 35% off there shoes (which were all last year models).  I tried on a couple of pairs, but what really stuck out were these Newton mv2s.  
They are a mid-strike shoe and they felt really weird.  They feel like you have a pivot point on the ball of your foot.  At first I was hesitant, but the guy said if you want to go the minimal route this would be a good shoe to get started with.  I have heard that minimalist type running is better on your knees, which has been a problem for me in the past.  I thought, "heck, they give you a 30 day back no questions so why not? Especially with this great deal ($85 instead of $140)."  I took them out for a 2 mile casual run today and they felt great!  It kind of makes me feel like I am running like a velociraptor.  In case you don't know what I mean by that:
I ran a bit faster and there is more spring in my step.  I am planning an changing over completely to these shoes but not just yet.  I did some research and you are actually not supposed to just switch, but more use both shoes until your muscles can adjust.  Here is Newton's transition video:

#knowledge

So that is where I'm at with running.

On a last note, I found this quote and wanted to share:

    "Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam

3 comments:

  1. Great post!! Congratulations on your first 10K race -- you did awesome!! And, I like the newton shoe review :) Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out "Good Form Running" as well. It promotes a mid foot strike (instead of heel) to gain more speed and to take it easier on your knees.

    http://goodformrunning.com/

    ReplyDelete