Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ground Zero

So I've decided today is the day to get rid of Cable. In today's society there is really no need for such a old technology. The internet has everything you need.  

My goal is simple, do not lose any entertainment and save a crap load of money.

This blog is going to demonstrate how you can go without having cable and still watch all your favorite shows. We will post information that will help you avoid the hefty cost of having cable.

My Current Setup
*
Comcast cable $75 per month
** 1 DVR
** 1 extra receiver (that isn't a DVR)
** The sports package (mostly for the SPEED channel)
** Digital Starter package
* Netflix $10 per month
* Comcast Internet (12 MBPS) $53

Total cost = $138 per month or $1656 per year

My families Current TV interests
* The Killing
* The Walking Dead
* Dexter
* Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives
* Auto Racing
* College Football
* Law and Order
* The X Files
* The Real World
* ETC...

My Current Plan

* Remove Comcast Cable -$75
* Add Hulu Plus +$8
* Configure Boxee Box on a Desktop
* Change to 6 MBPS internet through Comcast -$53 +$53 (Funny thing here is Comcast charges more if you don't go with a package).

The reason I went with Comcast cable is because I don't get anything bigger than 2MBPS DSL though AT&T, not fast enough.


New monthly bill : $71 or $852 per year (a savings of $804/year)

So that is it, my plan is in place. I will hopefully post at least once per week to demonstrate how well/not well its going. Then maybe you can do what I'm doing, and save your family some money.

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. We haven't had cable in two and a half years. I didn't do nearly as much research as you but it works for us and keeps us from watching hours of pointless television. We use a big off air antenna for HD local channels. Off air video is uncompressed, unlike satellite and cable so I get the best HD picture for free. We pay 64 dollars for 14 megabytes from at&t. I play games on the xbox and we pay $9 for netflix. Xbox also offers ESPN live and recorded events and they are adding local channels later in the year. Other than those we watch Naruto online and true blood thru hbogo.com using Sarahs aunts dtv account. Fuck cable. It's all crap. If they offered individualy channels a couple dollars a piece I would be interested in spike, g4,history, and discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what your saying. The individual channels would be great wouldn't it, but the cable company wouldn't want to do that because then they couldn't sell channels like Opera TV, cuz only like 2 people would ever pay for that. :)

    ReplyDelete