Monday, April 23, 2012

TV vs. Alternatives.....GO!


There are people that live/eat/breath there whole lives around TV.  That is crazy people!  I do love a good episode of Supernatural, X-Files, Family Guy just like the rest but you have to find a balance.  This goes double for you computer folk (myself included) that stare at a computer screen all day.  We have to learn to enjoy the other things like: a nice bike ride, running, playing with your children (where applicable), volunteering at your local animal shelter, joining a social group, yoga, meditation, church, bowling, fishing, driving (fast on the tracks), having coffee w/ friends, etc....  There are so many other things to do (even in the cold northern winters) than watch TV.  Go do them before you can't get up because you are to old.  Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I see too many people with major health issues that don't take care of themselves and it gets to me sometimes.  I want to help them, but wise man/woman once said; "you can't control people, places, or things".  What you can do is write in your blog about it, so that's what I'm doing.  Anyway, enough about that, on with the show...

I have been on a Netflix documentary kick lately and I stumbled upon a couple good ones that made me do a double take on my life habits.

First up, Food Inc.  

I must warn you, if you have a weak stomach, or you love McDonalds, I would hesitate on watching this.  It shows how horrible the meat industry is and how bad it is for you.  It is a very well done documentary and is very pro-vegetarian.  They target a couple key corporations that really only care about money and not the common wealth.  No wonder American's are so fat :)  After watching it I question why anyone would ever want to eat at these places.  I eat there as a last resort.  Overall I give it a 4 out of 5.

And now, Forks over Knives.

This documentary is great.  They don't only bash on the meat industry like the above one, but they also demonstrate how the alternative is SOOOO much better for you.  These people are definitively extremists but they have a lot of great advice.  I'm not saying everyone should move to be a vegetarian, what I am saying is being a vegetarian is better for you, and this is the scientific proof that says so.   This show is really good because they focus more on the positives than the negatives that are obvious.  Overall I give this one a 5 out of 5.

So.... what is next?

I would first like to document that if I were a pizza, I would be a meat lovers.  I love meat, bacon, chicken, pulled beef sammiches. You name it, I like it.  For a couple reasons (not only these documentaries) I want to be more healthy, and these shows kind of gave me the fuel I have been looking for.

I have decided to try to avoid red meat, not remove it from my diet, just avoid it when possible.  I have been doing this for about a month or so and I must say that I feel healthier.  My workouts that I do last longer, I have more energy throughout the day, and I don't have as many... stomach issues.  I've also tried to eat less dairy products, and make better choices when I go out to dinner.  Going out to dinner it tough sometimes but the benefits are so worth the sacrifice.  Working out has really helped out a lot as well.  I go to the gym or go running/biking at least 3 times per week which is big for me.   I'll let you know how this goes, but so far, so good.

Once upon a time I was a runner, a pretty good runner at that.  This past new years eve I decided that my goal this year is to run 4 5k's.  Last weekend I ran the first one.  It felt good to actually get out and enjoy the day, and I helped a cause.  I felt good to be part of the community.

Anyone with/against me on this?

I'm curious about your thoughts on the topic, please post comments!

Blog update

If you haven't noticed I have exhausted all things anti-cable so I'm going to be expanding the scope of this blog to include alternatives to TV in general.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! I loved forks over knives, too - and food inc -- another documentary that is good on there (not to do with food, but with babies) is the business of being born. Did you guys take pictures of your 5K? Your readers want a race recap!!! xoxoxo Love you.

    ReplyDelete